5 Steps You Need To Take To Get Your Car Fixed After an Auto Accident
Following an auto accident, one of the primary concerns people have is getting their car repaired cost-effectively and fast. People need their car on a daily basis, plain and simple. The thought of not having your car is stressful. There are several types of claims available following an auto accident, including personal injury claims and property damage claims.
To get your property damage claim settled, follow these steps:
1) Take your car to a mechanic or collision shop that you trust and get an estimate for damages. Remember that this is just an estimate. If you have excessive damage to the frame of your vehicle, it is likely that the actual cost to repair your vehicle is much higher than the estimate.
DO NOT get the car repaired until an insurance adjuster can evaluate the car.
2) Call your insurance company. The will either send an adjuster to look at your car, hire an appraisal company to come look at your car, or they will recommend you take your car to a specific auto repair shop. Sometimes they might do all of the above.
3) Once the insurance company has evaluated the damage themselves and have concluded their own estimate, you can decide where you want to get your car repaired. The insurance company cannot force you to get your car repaired at their recommended mechanic or shop. However, they can make it more difficult for you if you choose a mechanic that they did not approve.
4) Ask the adjuster how much they will pay and remember to ask how much your deductible is. If it's a minor repair, you may not meet your deductible and might need to pay the whole thing out of pocket-- that is why it's could be beneficial to get multiple estimates on your car's damage.
5) If the mechanic finds more damage once they start working on your car (which often happens) ask the mechanic to call your insurance adjuster and tell them directly.
Sometimes, you and your insurance company may not agree on how much repair the car needs or how much it is worth to repair those damages-- in instances such as these, you want to hire an appraisal company to try to reach an objective agreement with your insurance company.
The Car Accident Attorneys at RC Legal Group have extensive experience handling property damage claims following an auto accident.
Call or text us today for more information: 858-800-2458